homedotreviewsdotfashiondotfavoritesdothaulsdothairdotskindotface of the monthdotfavorite thingsdotlifestyledotcontact

Monday, October 24, 2011

Brush Cleaning w Rubbing Alcohol


So I saw a video a while back from Gossmakeup about cleaning brushes w rubbing alcohol. So I decided to give it a try. So far I am LOVING it- so easy and so clean.
I will note that the 70% did not work for me, but the 91% and 99% are amazing! I tend to find the 99% at my grocery store and the 91% is the highest I have found at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc.
NOTE- the 70% kills more bacteria and 91-99% removes more color- so interchange them.
Also this has not dried my brushes our or made them brittle- I still deep clean once month.
Have you tried this and what do you think?

Cheers-Lisa



2 comments:

  1. Though it's not my preferred method, I do occasionally clean my brushes with alcohol because it is quick, cheap, and readily available.

    Please know, however, that for disinfection purposes, alcohol over 90% is LESS effective than the 70% concentrations. There's a post on my site explaining it, but it basically has to do with how alcohol kills germs- the water content in 70% is necessary. It seems counterintuitive, but once you know the science behind it, it makes sense.

    Having said that, if you find that the 90%+ works better and are still concerned with disinfection (vital for pros or anyone acne-prone) it's best to do a 30 second dip in 70% to kill germs, and then clean w/your 90% :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Lisa, since I saw your video I have done this for numerous photo shoots and while having to do client after client. So helpful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails